Sunday, May 18, 2008

It's Not All About You

By Kay Heitsch, 

I looked over at the clock. It was my usual time to get up and spend quiet time with the Lord. Since it was Sunday, the thought of staying in bed came to my mind. After all, I was going to church, wasn't I? I would be spending time with the Lord there. Over time, I've learned not to always listen to myself, so I got up. I spent some quiet time alone with the Lord and then started to get ready for church. 

I'd turned the phone off in the bedroom, but I thought I heard the phone ring. Who on earth would be calling? I answered the phone. On the other end of the line was an old friend of mine. I hadn't talked to him in a very long time. Dave told me that he spoke to his wife about his eighth-grade boy's Sunday School class. Dave expressed to her the trouble he was having trying to talk about "witnessing." Cynthia shared with him the blog I had started less than one week ago. The last story on the blog was about witnessing. I listened, and then Dave asked if I would be willing to come over to his S.S. class and share some of my stories. 

I thought for sure Dave meant maybe sometime in the future, but he indicated that morning, in a couple of hours. I started to kind of freak out. What would I say? I hadn't talked about Todd publicly in a very long time. I certainly would have to say something about him. It was because of Todd's death that I had entered into this personal relationship with the Lord. I didn't want to cry and make these eighth-grade boys uncomfortable. Thoughts started to race around in my mind. I believe it was because I had spent time alone that morning that this thought came. "Relax, it's not all about you. I'll give you the words you need to say. Don't miss this opportunity." I told Dave I would talk to his class that morning. 

I gathered up a bunch of "In Loving Memory of Todd" handouts and left. I spoke to the boys. I'm not sure what all I said, but I remember saying something I had never said before. I kept saying, "It's not all about you." This phrase, "It's not all about you," was something that I'd learned over the years. Whenever I was asked to do something, I didn't feel comfortable with, or I felt inadequate with, I had to remind myself, "It's not all about you." I knew my strength to do anything worthwhile was coming from the Lord. It was all about Him and His ability. I knew I needed to allow Him to do His witnessing through me. I just needed to be myself.  Dave passed out the "In Loving Memory of Todd" stories. Wouldn't you know I had taken the exact number that was needed! 

After the talk, I walked over to the church. The service was about over as I arrived. When I walked into the sanctuary, I heard the minister say, "It's not all about you. It's about Him." That's it! Whatever the plan God has for our lives, we need to remember, it's not all about us. It's about Him.

No comments: