Monday, October 13, 2008

Ask And You Shall Receive

by Kay Heitsch,

I was standing in the bathroom putting on my make-up when the phone rang. I answered it. "Hello. Is this Kay Heitsch?" "Yes," I replied. "Hi Kay, my name is Ric Cox. I'm the Executive Editor at the Peale Center for Plus Magazine. Dr. Peale received the letter you recently sent him and asked me to call.

First, I need to ask, are you a professional writer?" "No," I replied. "Well, we were wondering because of the way the letter was written." "I didn't write that letter," I blurted out. "What?" was Ric's response. "Well, I did write it, but I wrote it so fast I truly believe the Lord wrote it through me." "Oh, I understand what you're saying now." Ric went on,

"Kay, Dr. Peale was wondering if you would give him permission to print your letter in Plus Magazine." I was shocked. "Certainly, I will give my permission to print this letter. I would be honored to have my letter printed in his magazine," I said. "We'll be sending you a printout of how your letter will appear in the magazine and some other papers in a few weeks," Ric explained before he said goodbye.

Just that morning, during my Bible study and prayer time, I'd made a request to the Lord. I'd asked if it is His will that I might meet Dr. Peale or one of his staff. I felt meeting Dr. Peale would be an excellent motivator for me to stay on track. However, I told the Lord to forget the idea if I was going to be disappointed. I've found that I don't always know what's good for me. After hanging the phone up, I remembered my prayer. Wow! "Ask, and you shall receive," came to my mind.

A few weeks later, I received an envelope in the mail from the Peale Center. I took the envelope to the house, put it on the counter in the kitchen and opened it. As I pulled the papers out, I was stunned to see that the Peale Center had given my letter to Dr. Peale a title: "In Loving Memory of Todd."

I felt overwhelmed at the sight of those words. I could see the Lord had also answered another prayer. A few months earlier, when I gave my life to the Lord, I'd asked the Lord to bring something positive out of Todd's death. Now I could clearly see He was doing just that.

No comments: