Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Why Don't You Drop It?

by Kay Heitsch

I have a few things I need to drop in my life, like dead leaves in the fall. Maybe if I share one in particular, I will drop it!

Every time I hear a particular college football team's name mentioned, I have a horrible feeling that comes rising up. Oh, there's a reason behind this feeling, that is for sure.

Years ago, our son Todd played football. He played football from the time he was in the second grade until high school.

I'll admit we didn't live in the same state as relatives, but nonetheless, no one could be bothered to come and see him play, even one time. I knew it would have meant the world to him!

When I would send out his football schedule, it was always, "Oh, we can't make it. We have tickets to the so and so game. We're going to see them."

At the time, I didn't really think I cared so much, but then Todd died. Now I started to feel angry whenever I heard the mention of this team's name. I knew how much it would have meant if anyone would have come to watch him play.

When our daughter got married, a friend had tickets to see this same team to add insult to injury. Of course, more apologies were given.

This year the football season started. As soon as this team's name was mentioned, I made some negative comments. My husband said, "Why don't you drop it?"

Well, I am going to believe I will stop clinging to this issue like the old dead leaves on the tree, with God's help. Maybe sharing this story will help me move forward in the process.

No comments: