Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Old Country Church

by Kay Heitsch

Many years ago, I received a phone call asking me to come and share my testimony. This was before GPS, and I had no idea where this church was located, but I didn't want to turn down the invitation. I had written down some directions but found myself lost a few times. However, whenever I stopped, someone was always there to show me the way.

I was starting to feel uneasy as I turned down one dirt road after another. I was out in the middle of nowhere. Finally, I could see a little white-framed church sitting on a hill. I felt relieved as I pulled into the gravel parking lot. I whispered a little prayer of thanks and walked to a door that I noticed was open.

The ladies were preparing a potluck in the basement before the service. I could smell the delicious homemade food as I walked in. I noticed the men were taking off their farm boots and leaving them at the door as they came in to eat. I had to smile as this was something I had not seen before.

Everyone was friendly. Two little girls in cotton dresses came up to me and asked, "Are you the speaker?" I smiled and told them I was. It was cute to see how excited they were.

This was an experience I will never forget. The love I felt from these people was amazing.

I've worshiped in all sizes of church buildings with different kinds of music. One thing I know it's not the size of the building or the music. It's the love of the people who worship there that brings a smile to God's face.

"By this, everyone will know that you are my disciples if you love one another." John 13:35

No comments: