Sunday, February 9, 2020

You're Right, I'm Not

by Kay Heitsch

People say some unusual things to you when your child dies.

I don't know if some people have a preconceived idea of how you're supposed to respond to the death of your child or if it's how they think they will react if tragedy ever strikes them.

I had a person tell me that Todd dying was not the worst thing that could happen to me. I don't know if this was supposed to make me feel better. Let's just say, "It didn't."

Another person was very concerned that I was not handling Todd's death right. I explained that they were absolutely right. I was not handling Todd's death at all. I couldn't deal with the situation, so I had given Todd and myself to the Lord. I told them that I asked God Almighty to please bring something positive out of Todd's death, and if He could use me to do it, I was available.

It's been quite a journey since Todd's death in the car accident. I've learned not to be surprised by what people will say. But most of all, I've been blessed to be able to say that I am not handling Todd's death. I've given Todd and myself to the Lord for Him to take. I'm thankful that He's seen fit to bring many good things out of it.

No comments: