Wednesday, May 21, 2008

A Wink From God

By Kay Heitsch

Since it was getting close to Memorial Day, I wanted to get the flowers planted at home and at the cemetery. I knew I had bitten off more than I could chew, but I started with enthusiasm. But my spirit was in low gear after I had finished planting the last flowers at the cemetery.

Hot and exhausted, I gathered the sprinkling cans and started over to the water faucet. I was about halfway there when I noticed a sign hanging on the handle. As I got closer, I read, "Water available at the north end of the cemetery. Sorry for your inconvenience." I have no sense of direction, but it was clear; I wasn't at the "north end" of the cemetery.

With a super pail in one hand and a sprinkling can in the other, I headed for my car. As I walked, I started to whine to the Lord about my situation. In jest, I said, "Boy, it would sure be nice, Lord, if someone would show up with some water."

As I was about to put the pail and sprinkling can in the car, a van drove up. A man got out with two sprinkling cans full of water and a big smile. He looked at me and said, "Here I am at your service!" I stood there speechless.

Since I wasn't responding, the man said cheerfully, "Well, where do you want me to put this water?" With tears in my eyes, I choked out the words, "Over here on my son Todd's grave would be wonderful. Thank you."

Today I was watching Joyce Meyer's "Enjoying Everyday Life" program. Joyce called these moments "Winks from God." I certainly felt God had given me a wink and a smile that day.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love this story -- and love the title. What a joyful way to view the nice things that come our way -- winks from God!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful story. A great reminder that God truly hears our prayers.

Anonymous said...

Kay, I got goosebumps reading this! What a heartwarming story that proves God listens to even the simplest requests.

Helen Percy Lystra said...

I love the story and the idea that nice things that come our way are winks from God... bless you

Becki said...

Isn't that just like God! Not only a wink, but a hug too.

Love you!