Monday, November 3, 2008

A Better Plan

by Kay Heitsch

"Hello, is this Kay Heitsch?" 

I started to get used to hearing these words when I answered the phone after "In Loving Memory of Todd" went into print. I was thrilled to hear from people from all over the United States who had read the Plus Magazine letter. 

Dr. Peale's staff continued to stay in touch with me too. I enjoyed hearing from Ann, Dr. Peale's secretary, and Ric, the Plus Magazine editor. We had developed quite a friendship. I still remembered the prayer I'd prayed asking the Lord to meet Dr. Peale or his staff. I felt the prayer had been answered. 

However, the Lord had something else in mind, too. One day I received a brochure in the mail from the Peale Center. It was announcing Positive Thinking Seminars. I saw that one was being held in Cincinnati, Ohio. I lived in Dover, Ohio, at the time, so I felt this would be my perfect opportunity to meet Dr. Peale and his staff in person. I laid the brochure on the counter in the kitchen and prayed over it many times. The Positive Thinking Seminar in Cincinnati came and went, but I was unable to attend. I was very disappointed. 

One day I went out to the mailbox, not expecting anything special when I saw a letter from the Peale Center. I could see this letter had a regular stamp, so I knew it wasn't bulk mail. I ran inside and opened it. I couldn't believe my eyes when I read the letter. The words, "Kay, you have been chosen by Dr. Peale to receive his Norman Vincent Peale Award for Positive Thinking. Dr. Peale will be presenting you with this award in person. You will be receiving the award at the Positive Thinking Seminar in Atlanta, Georgia." What? I ran and grabbed the old brochure, and sure enough, right under the Positive Thinking Seminar in Cincinnati, Ohio, was Atlanta, Georgia. I hadn't even seen Atlanta, Georgia; I was too focused on Cincinnati, Ohio. 

This taught me a valuable lesson. Sometimes we get our hearts set on something we think we want (Cincinnati, Ohio) when the Lord has a much better plan (Atlanta, Georgia).

No comments: