Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Are You The Person...

by Kay Heitsch

Over the six years, I worked at the Memory Care Center, I've been blessed to meet many beautiful people. One of those very special people was a resident named Ruth*.

Ruth and her husband had been missionaries for many years. Ruth enjoyed singing. Since she had a short-term memory problem every day, she would ask, "Are you the person I walk with and sing?" When I assured her that I was, Ruth would start walking along beside me.

I would grin and say, "Well, Ruth crank it up!" which she somehow knew meant to start singing.

Our first song would always be, God Bless America, next, Jesus Loves Me, and finally, Everybody Ought To Know Who Jesus Is. After we sang Ruth's three favorites, she would say, "Now it's your turn."

I smile when I think back on this memory. Ruth's memory may not have been what it once was, but she still wanted God to bless America. Ruth knew that Jesus loved her, and she wanted everyone to know who He is.

*Named changed

No comments: