Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Yes He Can!

by Kay Heitsch, 

I was hurrying around Friday morning, getting ready for a trip to Michigan. We'd received a call that the headstone for Todd's grave was ready. Todd's headstone had been a special order because we wanted his picture put on it. We also asked that his running shoes be carved in the front. I was anxious to see how the stone turned out. 

Then the phone rang. When I answered the phone, a woman introduced herself as June.* During our brief conversation, June told me that she'd read the story "In Loving Memory of Todd" in the Plus Magazine. June said she'd also shared the story with her eight daughters. June explained the reason for her call was to let me know how inspired she and her daughters were with the story. June said they were amazed to see how the Lord had taken this tragedy and made something positive out of it. Then June commented that she didn't know what she would do if anything ever happened to one of her children. I assured June that God would be with her, just as He had with me, no matter what may happen. I thanked June for her call and encouragement. I explained that I was sorry I couldn't talk very long because we were getting ready to leave for Michigan. I told June I'd be happy to talk to her more when I came home.

 Sunday afternoon, we drove back to Ohio. We were pleased with the way the headstone had turned out. Early Monday morning, the phone rang. When I answered the phone, I recognized June's voice, but she sounded different this time. In a quiet voice, June asked, "Did you read the newspaper on Saturday?" "No, I didn't," I answered. I heard June take a deep breath. June started to cry softly and said, "My only son, Jason* was hit by a big semi-truck on his way to Florida. Jason is dead." There was a pause. "Oh, I'm so sorry to hear this," I replied, feeling half sick to my stomach. June continued, "I can't tell you how thankful I am that my daughters and I read your story. Because of reading "In Loving Memory of Todd," we know that the Lord can bring something positive out of Jason's death too." 

I asked June what funeral home they were using for Jason's calling hours. That evening I went over to show my condolences. To this day, the picture of June and her daughters standing around Jason's casket still stands out in my mind. With tears filling my eyes, I walked over to June and her daughters. After introducing myself, I gave each one an understanding hug. Words were not necessary; because they knew from reading the story that the Lord could bring something positive out of Jason's death, as He had in Todd's. 

*Names have been changed. "In Loving Memory of Todd" can be read in the May Archive

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How tragic for June and her family, but what an encuragement for her to know that something positive could come from Jason's death.

None of us are promised tomorrow; all we have is this moment.