Monday, May 5, 2014

To Sell or Not to Sell?

by Kay Heitsch

"I don't know if we should put our house up for sale or not; what do you think?" This was a question I heard many times as I walked with my friend, Jena*. The economy wasn't all that great, so it didn't seem like the perfect time to list a house.

I certainly didn't have an answer to this question, but I listened to all the reasons why Jena thought she should try and list the house.

One day after being asked what I thought she should do again, I said, "Listen, put the house in the Lord's hands. If He wants you to sell the house, he can bring someone to your door." Really? Did I say that? Oh yes, I did, but I wasn't really sure why. At first, I thought I was tired of being asked the question, but now the words were out.

The house next door to my friend had sold. Ed* Jena's husband walked over to meet the new people. While he was in the house, he noticed that there was some remodeling being done. Ed asked about the people who were doing the remodeling. He wondered if they might be able to come over and estimate some work he wanted to be done if they actually did put the house on the market.
To Ed's surprise, the guy said the people doing the remodeling were his parents.

Ed and Jena started to take down some wallpaper in their kitchen when the doorbell rang. When they answered the door, it was the parents of the guy next door. They came in and looked around. Ed and Jena explained that they were "thinking" about putting the house on the market, but they wanted to do some upgrading first.

Much to their amazement, these people said that they were looking to move near their son because the mom had cancer. They told Ed and Jena that they were going on a short vacation, and when they came back, they would let them know if they would buy their house for cash. They also told them to stop all the work they were doing on the house to fix it up. They told them that they would be tearing down the walls etc., if they bought it.

The waiting began, but soon this couple was back from their trip. They came over and offered Ed and Jena the price they were asking for.

If you asked me if I believed God could or would bring someone to the door and ask to buy the house, I would say yes! But when it actually happened, I was blown away. :D

No comments: