Saturday, December 10, 2022

Christmas Caroling

By Kay Heitsch

We spotted the porch light as we slowly drove down the street that cold December evening. "This must be the house." I told our "Positive Teens In Action" group.
We pulled up in front of an older home with a glowing porch light. We gathered our songbooks, walked up the steps, and knocked on the door. We heard a faint voice from inside say, "Come on in. The door is open." We opened the door.
An older woman with a big smile sat in a rocking chair. "I've been expecting you," she said weakly. Ruth was one of the Meals On Wheels stops I had arranged, along with the usual church members who enjoyed carolers.
We handed Ruth the basket of goodies the teens had assembled earlier that evening. Then I asked Ruth what carols she would like to hear. Ruth's face was beaming as she joined in, singing each song.
As we hugged Ruth goodbye, she said to me with tears glistening in her eyes, "The day you called, I was still in bed. I had just finished praying. I asked God if it would be possible to have some Christmas Carolers come to my home and sing this year. Thank you for being the answer to my Christmas prayer."
Our Bible verse says. When you pray, go to your room, close the door, and pray to your unseen Father. And your Father, who sees what you do in private, will reward you. Matthew 6:6
Wow, what an incredible experience to have the opportunity to be the answer to someone's Christmas prayer.

No comments: