Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Different Strokes for Different Folks

by Kay Heitsch

Since I've become a Christian, I've noticed that not all Christians share their faith the same way. I tend to be friendly and outgoing, and when someone asks me how it is that I'm so happy and friendly, I see that as an open the door to share God's love with them.

This week at Planet Fitness, a young guy came up to me. He said he noticed how friendly I was with everyone, but I hadn't said a word to him. Quite honestly, I never remember ever seeing him before. Without hesitation, he continued, "I don't care what religion you are, but we are all going to die. You better know where you're going after you're dead. We aren't guaranteed tomorrow."

I smiled, asked him his name, then quoted this Bible verse, "We are confident, I say, and willing rather be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord." 2 Corinthians 5:8 KJV.

I then went on to share with him how well I knew that we are not guaranteed tomorrow. I told Martin that it became evident to me after my own son Todd walked out the back door at age 16 and never came home again.

I don't see myself sharing my faith the way Martin did. However, I have learned over the years that we all don't have to be alike. God works in different ways with different people. Since there are no two people who are just like, I'm sure God-like variety.

No comments: