Sunday, October 24, 2021

Miracles Do Happen

by Kay Heitsch

Many years ago, I had a miracle happen in my life.
Our son, Todd, had died in a car accident. As a result, we were all suffering in our family, especially our almost 3-year-old son Brandon. Todd and Brandon had a special relationship. Practically every night, Brandon would get out of his bed, go down the stairs, and get in bed with Todd. Then, in the morning, they would get up together, and Todd would make them breakfast.
When Todd didn't come home after leaving that Saturday morning, Brandon didn't understand. So when Brandon went down to get in bed with Todd, he wasn't there. So again, Brandon was confused, and as the days went by, Brandon began to stutter.
During the day, Brandon would call to me that Todd was on the phone and wanted to talk to me. I can't tell you how heartbreaking this was to me. I did not know what to do! I started to pray about this situation, but Brandon's stuttering continued.
One day as we were walking in our neighborhood, Brandon noticed a dead bird on the side of the road. Then, to my shock and amazement, Brandon stutter, "Thaaat birrrd is dddead jjjust like Ttttodd." Tears came to my eyes and Brandon's words broke my heart. But I knew he was right.
I kept praying that God would heal Brandon from his stuttering. Then, for some odd reason, I started to think I should bury this bird. I did not like the idea and continued to pray. But for some reason, I couldn't get this thought out of my mind. I even woke up at night thinking about it.
I couldn't see why I should bury this bird, but I decided to do it so I would quit thinking about it. I got a pail and shovel out of the garage before Brandon, and I took our walk. I scooped the bird up in the shovel and put it in the bucket. Together Brandon and I walked to the back of our yard, and I dug a hole. With tears running down my face, I told Brandon he was right; this little bird was dead, just like Todd. I had Brandon shake the bucket and call to the bird. Of course, the bird never moved. So I told him one day Jesus was going to call with a loud voice and this bird and Todd would come alive. I told Brandon he would see Todd again.
The next morning when Brandon woke up he was not stuttering, and he never stuttered again.
Do I believe in miracles? You better believe I do!

No comments: