Saturday, September 26, 2015

Love In Action

by Kay Heitsch

As most people know, I belong to Planet Fitness. When you belong to a fitness club, they have rules that they must enforce. One of the rules is that you can not leave your belongings in a locker for an extended time, or the lock will be cut off, and your things will be removed.

A while back, I came into a PF workout and found out that a club member's lock had been cut off. The member whose padlock had been cut off was a guy who has some mental challenges. I'm sure this member knew he was supposed to remove his things when he left, but somehow he'd forgotten. After a few days, the management had to cut the lock off.

The day he came in and found out his lock had been cut off was a day I hope I will never forget. When two of the other members noticed that he was upset, they went over and asked what had happened. After he shared that his lock had been cut off, they immediately bought him a brand new combination lock. They took their time to help him learn how to use it, but also, we're kind enough to put the numbers down and kept them in their wallets in case he forgot.

I was very touched by this kind gesture. I've seen people avoid this young man with his mental challenges, but these two men took it on themselves to help him to feel welcomed, wanted and accepted. I witnessed love in action this day by two young guys who had big kind hearts.

No comments: