Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Happy Birthday, Todd!

by Kay Heitsch

It seems like only yesterday that I held you in my arms for the first time. You were so alert. You smiled, and someone said it was just gas, but you and I know better.

I remember some of the cute things you said and did as you were growing up. When you tried on your first pair of big boys' underwear. You put your little hand in the front.
In your sweetest little voice, you looked up at me and announced, "Well, it's not a pocket!" I laughed then, and I smile now every time this memory comes to my mind.

I recall when our neighbor's Sherry and Jim took you to church with them when you were around 3 years old. You came home and, in a frustrated voice, said, I couldn't dance! They didn't have a violin.

Remember when we lived in Sandusky? You were about four at the time. You were friends with a little African American boy named Donald. One day you were both in the bathroom. When you came out of the bathroom, you yelled, "Hey Donald, we're brothers! We both have brown poopy!"

You were a wonderful big brother to Shannon and Brandon. Thank you for that! I well remember when we lived in Indiana, and a neighbor came over and talked to me. He said he had never seen any brother treat his sister as caring as you treated Shannon. You called her " little darling" and that she was. You really stuck up for her. I always wanted a brother, and if I had to choose one for myself, you would have been it!

When Brandon came along, you were terrific with him. Brandon tried to follow you everywhere you went. I can almost hear Brandon's little feet walking down the hall now. Many mornings he would get out of his bed to come down and crawl into bed with you. You would then get up and fix him breakfast. I'm so happy you had this particular time together.

Even on the day you left for the last time, Brandon was crying at the door, wanting to go with you. We didn't know you wouldn't be coming back. I don't know if you knew. But you gave Brandon a big hug goodbye. Then looking at me, standing at the sink, you smiled. With a point of your finger, saying, "Later, Mom!" Little did we know then how much later that would be.

You and I had a great relationship. I actually felt like you were my very best friend. I know people say you should be a parent and not a friend and I understand that. But I think I was also a good mother to you and even your friend.

I loved the way you would share your day with me after school. I know you probably didn't share everything, and that's okay, but we still did a lot of talking. I can even see you sitting on the counter in the kitchen, talking, as you watched me make dinner.

I also loved the way we took our walks/jogs. It was fun taking Brandon in the stroller and Shannon walking along. The neighbors talked about our walks/jogs with the stroller after you left.

Coming down to your room and lying on your big king-size water bed is a special memory. I loved talking with you. I actually would go down and lie on your bed after you left, thinking of all our conversations. I would hold your letterman jacket close because it had your smell for a long time.

Todd, you have so many beautiful friends. I know they all have some funny and great memories of you. They've shared many with me. Each one has touched my heart.

A lot has changed. Shannon and Brandon are now older than you! It must be cool to be forever young.

I love you, Todd. I know you're having a wonderful birthday in heaven. Give Jesus a big hug for me.

Love You Forever, Mom

No comments: