Thursday, October 22, 2015

SMILES

  by Kay Heitsch

"Boy, these people in the truck stops are really nice and friendly," I announced to my husband, Bill.

I was kinda apprehensive about stopping in some of these places, but I was pleasantly surprised to feel so comfortable. Yes, I was seeing some men with tattoos all over their faces. I'll admit a face covered with tattoos was something I hadn't seen before. Plus, I was meeting some ladies of the evening. But each person I met was a pleasant surprise.

Bill looked over at me and grinned. "Do you know why these people are friendly with you?" "No, I thought they were friendly with everyone," I answered. Bill went on, "These people are friendly with you because you look them right in their eyes and smile. Most people look down at the ground and try not to make eye contact."

Really? I actually didn't even realize I was smiling and making eye contact with everyone I was near.

Over the years, I've thought about this. I've noticed how people smile at me when I smile first. My smiles are free, but they may mean a lot to someone who needs one.

No comments: