Tuesday, October 20, 2015

I'm Still Here

by Kay Heitsch

My husband, Bill's Grandma Z, was in a nursing home. Whenever our daughter, Shannon, came to Michigan, she would drive over and visit her.

After one of her visits, Shannon came home and told me Grandma Z had said something extraordinary. Grandma had told Shannon that she thought she would be dying soon. This really wasn't much of a surprise as Grandma was in her late 90's at the time. She actually died at 101. However, what Grandma Z. said next was a surprise. Grandma told Shannon that when she did die, she wanted to take ME with her. Shannon wasn't sure what to think of this statement.

I gave Grandma Z's statement some thought and I kind of understood where she was coming from. Grandma Z. was a "religious" person. Her salvation was based on good works. According to Grandma's religion, obeying the 10 Commandments and especially the 4th seemed to be the way into Heaven. Grandma's faith didn't teach that when she died, she was going to Heaven right away. She believed that she would "sleep" in the grave when she died until the Lord came back to get her. Then if she had actually kept all the 10 Commandments, she would go to Heaven and be judged.

I don't think like Grandma and told her so. My belief is that Jesus paid it all. I also believed that our bodies will stay in the grave until Jesus comes back, but I am not just a body. I am also a spirit, and my soul and spirit leave the body when I die and go to heaven with the Lord. I knew my way to heaven, and it was a free gift Jesus bought for me on the cross.

I was with Grandma Z when she died. My husband Bill was also in the room. I looked over at Bill and whispered, "Well, Grandma is gone, but I'm still here." I have to believe Grandma Z trusted in Jesus to show her the way home because I'm still here.

No comments: