Friday, October 9, 2015

What Is That Smell?

by Kay Heitsch

Oh my, what is that smell? I know when you workout at a gym, you might expect this to be an issue, but quite honestly, it really isn't at Planet Fitness. When people noticed a young guy having a real hygiene problem, it wasn't funny. As I talked to one of the other guys at the gym, he mentioned that this person may have a money problem and really couldn't afford to buy hygiene items. Wow, I hadn't thought of that.

The next day as I was doing my quiet time with the Lord, I opened the Bible to, "Whenever you possibly can, do good to those who need it." Proverbs 3:27 TEV. I thought, "This is no accident. I turned here today." I somehow knew I was supposed to help supply some hygiene items for this young man.

The next day I went to the store and bought several hygiene things and some nutrition bars. I put them in a red gym-type bag I had brought from home and took them to the gym.

I really didn't know Tom* the guy with the hygiene problem, very well, but I could tell by talking to him a few times that he was a Christian. He seemed to have a basic child-like manner about him, and I smiled over some of the conversations we'd had. Tom expressed in our discussions that Jesus was his friend.

I'll admit I was a little apprehensive about how I would give this bag to Tom. I talked to a friend at the gym about my apprehensions, and he asked me if I would like him to come with me to give Tom the bag. I thanked him, and we walked over to the treadmill. When Tom saw us, I said, "Hi Tom, you know how you told me that Jesus is your friend? Well, Jesus is my friend too, and He wanted me to give you this bag." I told him I'd put the bag on a shelf behind him, and when he was finished, he could put it in his locker.

Later in the afternoon, I was walking by Tom, and he said, "Thanks, I really appreciate what you did."

I'm thankful that I was made aware that not having the money to buy hygiene items for a month maybe the problem Tom was having. Planet Fitness does have showers, so I also supplied a towel. I am also thankful the Lord directed me to Proverbs 3:27 because that day, I could do good for someone in need.

Now, if he uses these hygiene items, we will be grateful.

No comments: