Saturday, December 12, 2015

You Don't Believe That, Do You?

by Kay Heitsch

Many years ago, I babysat a little Indian girl named Neha. Her parents were Hindu.

I asked if they cared if I took Naha over to church for a Christmas program at Christmas time. Her parents were okay with the idea. Neha was bright-eyed, seeing all the decorations and the program.
When Christmas rolled around, I gave Neha a little music globe with the nativity scene in it. I didn't think that much of it.

One day I was outside, and her dad walked over and asked me what the meaning of Christmas was. I said, "Christmas to me means that God came to earth as a baby to save us from our sins."

I'll never forget the "look" on Andy's face when he blurted out, "Kay, you don't believe that, do you?" I smiled and said I did. Andy walked away, shaking his head.

Many years later, I was outside shoveling with my little RED shovel when Andy walked over with a bag. He told me that he had been working in the Holy Land. Andy went on to say, much to his co-worker's surprise, he actually took the tours that Christians take in the Holy Land. Andy said he told his co-workers when they laughed that he was taking these tours and standing in long lines for his friend, Kay.
Then Andy handed me the bag. I went inside and opened it. Inside was a nativity made of beautiful wood he had bought in the Holy Land.

When someone asks you about your faith, and you answer honestly, you never know what kind of an impact it may have. Neha is a teenager now, and she's going to a Christian High School.

No comments: