Sunday, January 17, 2016

Stranger Danger

by Kay Heitsch

(Today, I thought of this true story when the Grand Blanc Police Department sent out a notice. Two young boys in our neighborhood were approached by a W/M & W/F in a white Ford F-250 and told to "get in the truck." )

I was an only child. My parent had me later in life. My mom was 38, and my dad was 40 when I was born. For most of my life, people thought they were my grandparents. Maybe because of this, I don't know, but my Mom had a recurring nightmare that I was kidnapped. She would wake up very upset. She had always taught me to trust people, but because of these nightmares, I was also pretty aware of what was going on.

We lived about 3 blocks from downtown. The highway US 131 ran through the town. Almost daily, we walked to town. Sometimes I would go alone to pick up bread or something we needed, but my mom and I often walked together. It was fun to see people that we knew in town. My aunt worked at the insurance company, so we usually stopped in to say, "HI." On the counter of the office was an iron that had melted from being left on too long. I'll never forget that! It was there to remind people to unplug the iron.

One warm summer day, when I was around 10, my mom asked me to go to town and buy something. I was on my way home when a car with a man driving and a woman in the passenger seat stopped. The woman rolled down her window and asked me to come over to the car because they wanted to ask me something. I felt fear run through my body! I don't know if it was from my mom's recurring nightmare or what. I turned around and ran back towards town and went into the closest store. I told them what had happened. The shop owner ran out, but the car was gone.

I had this happen twice to me as a child. As most of you can tell I'm very friendly and I was as a child too. I truly believe the Lord helped me know that these people were up to no good. Maybe my mom's recurring nightmares helped me to be aware too.

No comments: