Saturday, February 13, 2016

Help Me Jesus!

by Kay Heitsch

These past couple of weeks have had a lot to be desired. I've noticed I've been saying, "Help me, Jesus!" a lot!

Right before Christmas, I went to the dentist to have my teeth cleaned. After the cleaning, the dentist came in to check my teeth. In a calm tone of voice, he said, "I hate to ruin your Christmas, but you need three crowns replaced and a root canal." The girl left the room and came back with the price this work would cost. GULP!

Knowing this work needed to be done, the dentist's office called to remind me. I scheduled the visit. On the day of the procedure, I pulled out of the garage. Lo and behold, I couldn't believe my eyes. At the end of the driveway were 2 interlocking hearts. These hearts were made in the light dusting of snow by someone turning around in the driveway. I jumped out of the car and took a picture. I couldn't wait to show the people at the dentist's office. The girls in the office all said, "Who did this?" Of course, I didn't know. I got on FB to post the picture, and I saw a post that read, "Someone in Heaven loves you." I had to smile! I sat in the chair for 2 1/2 hours while they drilled the old crowns off and did the root canal. All the time thinking, "Help me, Jesus!" I drove home and went over to Planet Fitness. I felt pretty good and didn't see any reason to stay home.

Before the permanent crowns were put in, I was home and needed to go down the basement to get a can of vegetables. When I walked down the steps, I couldn't believe my eyes! Oh my, the hot water heater had malfunctioned, and water was all over 1/3 of the basement floor. I was standing in water as I drug boxes etc., to areas of the basement that didn't yet have water on it. I sent up a prayer, "Help me, Jesus!"

I sent Bill a text. No answer. I sent my friend Penney, a text, and she asked if we had a shop vac. Yes, we did, so I ran out to the garage to bring it in. Oh no, it was 3/4 full of water. "Help me, Jesus!" I tried to roll it outside to dump the water out, and a wheel broke off. It wasn't too easy rolling it out, but I did. I carried the vac down the basement and started to vacuum the water. It wasn't doing much good as water was still pouring in. Bill sent a text back and said to call the plumber. I did. I was in shock when the office girl said the cost would be over $2,000 for a new hot water heater.

After I got over that shock, I asked how to shut the water off. I had pulled the plug and turned something off on the hot water heater, but it was apparent it wasn't the water. The girl tried to tell me how to turn the water off. I couldn't figure out what she was talking about. Shortly after that, the plumber showed up. Bill called, and I handed the phone to the plumber. I had to smile when I heard him say, "Your wife has it under control. She even has the shop vac down here getting the water up."

The phone rang again while the plumber was still here! This time, the dentist's office wanted them to know when I had the previous crowns put on. They said the insurance wasn't going to pay unless they were over 5 years old. They wanted proof! Really? I'd had these crowns for at least 15 years. Where they were done was anyone's guess. We had lived in different states. I didn't even remember the names of the dentists who may have done the work. I sent up a prayer, "Help me, Jesus!"

The plumber was a lovely young guy. I asked if he was married. He said he wasn't, but he did have a girlfriend. I told him to tell her she was blessed to have a guy in her life who knew how to put hot water heaters in. He would be able to save them a lot of money. He smiled and said he was going to tell her. I was thankful I kept a good enough attitude to think of something nice to say to this guy. Thank you, Lord!

Later that week, I started to receive emails and calls from what looked like Social Security. I wasn't sure these were legit, so I sorta ignored them, but they bothered me.

A couple of days passed when I woke up and looked at my phone. I turn the sound off when I go to bed, so I hadn't heard a text that had come in. I couldn't believe my eyes to read that my friend's son had died! I immediately sent a text back! I drove out to their home. I have to say I was almost in disbelief to find out that they would have the Memorial Service at the exact day and time our son Todd had died. February 6th at 2:00. I sent up a prayer, "Help me, Jesus!"

On Thursdays, I help a lady named Bea. It just so happened that when I picked Bea up, I remembered it was her 88th birthday. I guess with all that had gone on, I had forgotten. After we went shopping, I told her I would take her out to eat for her birthday. We had a nice lunch, and I took her home. After I got home, I was gathering up my stuff to go over to Planet Fitness. As I grabbed my purse, I noticed that it felt light. I looked inside. My wallet was missing! I looked on the couch to see if it had fallen out. It hadn't. I called Bea and drove right over, saying, "Help me, Jesus!" When I walked into Bea's house, she was on the phone to the restaurant asking if they had found a wallet. No one had, but I found the wallet in Bea's car. It had fallen out because I hadn't zipped my purse after paying for our meal. When I saw it, I said, "Thank you, Jesus!" Bea kept saying, "Amen, amen, amen!" I had to smile!

On February 5th, I went back to the dentist's office to have the permanent crowns put back on. Everything went well. I came home and mixed cookie dough up, and made brownies for dinner held after the Memorial Service.

I posted a story about the day Todd died on FB on February 6th. I felt so much love from people who clicked "like" or posted comments. These certainly helped me as I attended the Memorial Service of my friend's son at 2:00.

On Monday, I received a letter from Social Security. This time I knew this was legit. There was some problem they needed to discuss with me. I was over at my friend's house, who had lost her son, when another SS call came in. I didn't answer it! I came home and tried to call the guy back but to no avail. Quite frankly, I didn't want to have to deal with this stuff by myself. Bill is good with these things; I am not. I sent up a prayer, "Help me, Jesus!"

This week, I decided that I would go down to the SS office by myself and try and get this mess straightened out. The weather was terrible, so I chose to go another day.

I sat down to work on my coloring Bible verse, "There is no fear in love; instead, perfect love drives out fear." 1 John 4:18. When I received a text from Bill. He had been in an accident. Bill said some guy tried to pass him and hit the ice and slammed into his side. Bill texted, "The police are on the way!" I prayed, "Help us, Jesus!" Then I thought, "There's no fear in love... I calmed down.

A few hours later, Bill walked in the back door. He was fine and asked if I wanted to go to the SS office. Yes, I did and was thankful I didn't need to go by myself. Bill was able to explain what this situation was and what needed to be done. It was kinda funny as the woman tried to tell Bill what was up, but when she talked kind to the Supervisor, the Supervisor told her the same thing Bill had said.

I have to say, "Thank you, Jesus, for helping me stay somewhat calm, cool, and collected when I cried out, 'Help me, Jesus.'"

No comments: