Wednesday, January 27, 2016

I Believe!

by Kay Heitsch

When Bill went off to work today, he said, "Today will be a better day!" I answered, "I believe!"

One of my favorite Bible verses is, "May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope." Romans 15:13

I actually have "Believe" on a plaque on the porch and the word "Believe" on the back of my cell phone case.

Yesterday had a lot to be desired with the hot water heater pouring water out and covering a good 1/3 of the basement floor. If we didn't have anything down the basement, that wouldn't have been an issue, but we have lots of stuff.

I tried frantically to shut off the water as it kept pouring out of the bottom of the hot water heater. I unplugged it, but that didn't do any good. I sent Bill a text, and he said to call the plumber.

I could feel my emotions rising, so I decided to sing! I can say that this did help. I thought of the Bible texts, "Give a sacrifice of praise." Yes, this was a sacrifice for sure. I didn't feel like praising! Also, the verse, "Sing unto the Lord a new song." What I sang I don't even remember. I no doubt made something up!

I ran out to the garage to find the shop vac. Oh my, it was heavy! I gave it a shake and could hear water. I tried to drag it outside to dump the water out. In the process, a wheel broke off. I tried to keep singing!

The phone rang. Oh, joy, it was the dentist's office saying that the insurance wasn't going to pay for the 3 replacement crowns. They wanted to know for sure that they were old. Yes, they were old crowns. I couldn't remember when I had them done or even if we lived in Michigan. I certainly didn't have receipts from something done over 15 years ago. I ran back down the basement.

The day was not going as expected!

When I decided to turn my life over to the Lord, I started studying the Bible. From reading books from Dr. Peale, I could see that the Bible was a practical book to help people live a joyous life here on earth, and it also showed the way for eternal life. I wanted to be happy no matter what my circumstances dictated.

It's not easy at times, that is for sure! But I know it's possible because I have tried to practice, with the Lord's help, many things I have learned from reading the Bible.

Do I believe today is going to be a better day than yesterday? Yes, I do! But if things come up that I don't like, I know I can sing and keep believing! One thing I do know is I believe there is something good in every day, and I'll keep believing!

No comments: