Monday, January 25, 2016

The Tennis Club

by Kay Heitsch

Several years ago, I was asked to come and talk to a youth group. The group was having a sleepover at the Tennis Club. Speaking to teens was not something I wanted to do. It was hard enough emotionally to share my story with adults, let alone teens.

When I turned my life over to the Lord, I put in some BUTS. I'll do this, BUT I can't do that! Speaking to teens was one of them. It was pretty funny when the Lord put on my heart that I couldn't and really hadn't done anything without His help. I had to admit that was true!

The night came for my talk at the Tennis Club. I arrived a little apprehensive speaking to only teens. Much to my surprise, the Tennis Club employees told me the microphone was not working in the gym. If I was going to talk, I would need to go to the Club's Bar.

I had to smile at the thought of sharing my testimony in a bar. I had spent a lot of time in bars. When my Dad babysat me, he took me to bars. When Bill and I were in our 20's, we ran a Night Club. This was a familiar atmosphere for me.

Several people were sitting at the bar and at tables when this large group of teens came in. Much to my surprise, none of the adults got up and left.

I shared my story on how God took the tragedy of Todd's death and brought triumph out of it. I don't know who may have needed to hear that God can bring something good out of something terrible, but I do believe someone was.

I know God will meet you right where you are. I smile when I think that He may even bring some person into a bar to share their story if He needs to.

No comments: