Friday, January 29, 2016

Happy Life

by Kay Heitsch

Today I put on a quote by Dr. Norman V. Peale on FB. "Let a series of HAPPY thoughts run through your mind. They will show on your face." with the Bible verse, "A happy heart makes a face cheerful." Proverbs 15:13

I'm sure some people wonder why I include a Bible verse with each quote I post. Maybe some people didn't even realize that I do because I put the verse in the comments. I'll share why in case you are wondering.

Many years ago, when I was not a Christian, I was searching for why I was unsettled inside. I had what most people would consider a great life, but I knew something was missing.

I found myself going to the library to search for some answers. I picked up several books, including books by Dr. Norman V. Peale.

Dr. Peale wrote stories of successful, happy people. I wanted what these people had. As Dr. Peale shared the stories, he always included Bible verses. I had never viewed the Bible like this. I saw the Bible as a stern book with lots of rules and regulations. I didn't know anyone who seemed to follow this book, who were happy people. So seeing the Bible this way amazed me!

I decided to study the Bible for myself! Dr. Peale suggested looking for texts that spoke to a particular issue in your life and find out what the Bible had to say about it. One of my problems was "worry." I bought a Bible and highlighted each text I saw on 'worry,' I was shocked! I could see the Bible had lots to say about it!

The more I highlighted areas of concern, I found I was starting to fall in love with the Bible. The more I read, the more freedom I felt. I could see the Bible was a book that was teaching me how to have a successful, happy life right here on earth.

I met Dr. Peale in person many years ago. He said that his mission was to actually get people to read the Bible for themselves. When they did, they would meet Jesus, and their lives would be forever changed. Wow, that's exactly what happened to me.

I like to share with people things that have helped me and that I enjoy. I share all kinds of things, as most of you know. So why I post a Bible verse on my positive quotes is simple. These verses have helped me! I want people to see the Bible as a positive book to help them with their everyday life.
Like Dr. Peale, I also want people to read the book for themselves and meet Jesus.

No comments: