Friday, February 26, 2021

My Prayer Request

by Kay Heitsch

Many years ago, after reading Dr. Norman V. Peale's books, I prayed a prayer to meet him in person. I'll be honest; I had built Dr. Peale up in my mind. His books had changed my life.

In my prayer, I added this little line, "If I am going to be disappointed, please forget this request." I know that sounds funny, but I tell it like it is when I pray.

Since I was on Dr. Peale's mailing list, I received a brochure about Ohio's positive thinking seminar. Boy, I was excited because I lived in Ohio. I put this brochure on the counter in our kitchen.

Every day I would pray over this brochure. I thought this might be my opportunity to meet Dr. Peale. However, this seminar in Ohio came and went. I couldn't attend. I'll be honest; I was disappointed.

A few months later, I received a phone call from Ric Cox. He was the executive editor of PLUS Magazine. Ric conveyed to me that Dr. Peale was inviting me to his Positive Thinking Seminar in Atlanta, Georgia. Dr. Peale wanted to present me with his Norman V. Peale Award in person. Wow, this was amazing!

I could see that the Lord was answering my prayer. I was going to meet Dr. Peale in person. However, I was still wondering what kind of person he would be. Would he be stand-offish? Would he be arrogant and self-righteous? I didn't know what to expect.

All of my questions about Dr. Peale were answered when his eyes met mine. His eyes sparkled, and he glowed. His kind smile lit up the room. It was evident to everyone that God's love truly was shining through him.
Meeting Dr. Peale was one of the highlights of my life. After meeting him, I could see that God's love can shine through a person. I was not disappointed in any way. My prayer request to meet Dr. Peale was answered far and beyond what I expected.


No comments: