Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Sleep in Peace

by Kay Heitsch

Several years ago, my husband took a job where he was out of town. I was used to him being transferred, but then our kids were home. Now, the children were out of the house, and I was alone.
During the day, I was fine. However, at night I had a hard time sleeping. I was not used to sleeping alone. I tossed and turned and even woke up at the end of the bed upside down one morning.
I stayed active, so I was tired when I went to bed. One day at Planet Fitness, I was talking to a guy. He wanted to know if I had a gun to protect myself if anyone tried to break in. I hadn't thought of someone breaking in, so now I felt a little bit afraid. I started to hear all kinds of noises when I went to bed.
I found there were Bible verses about sleep. One was, "When you lie down, you will not be afraid; when you lie down, your sleep will be sweet." Proverbs 3:24 NIV
I made up my mind I was not going to go to bed being afraid. I bought some earplugs and put them in my ears. This way, I didn't hear every little noise. I started to take control of my thoughts. I didn't count sheep; I talked to the Shepherd. When I went to bed, I had a sweet sleep.
If you have a hard time sleeping, always remember you don't need to count sheep. You can talk to the Shepherd and sleep in peace.

No comments: